Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Day 23: Exodus 19, 20 and 21


Now if you will obey me and keep my covenant, you will be my own special treasure from among all the peoples on the earth; for all the earth belongs to me (NLT, Exodus 19:5).

The NIV translates this verse: …you will be my treasured possession. Although the whole earth is mine… Even though I love the NIV, including its most recent revision (2011), this is one place I contend they made a bad choice out of touch with the entirety of biblical context. Of major translations, only the NIV and the HCSB choose the word although. The NCV uses even (which unfortunately communicates the same idea as although), and three translations avoid the problem by leaving out the word altogether (CEV, GNT) or substituting indeed (NRSV). The ESV, NASB and the NKJV agree with the NLT translators and use the word for.

Why the confusion? The original word can be translated both ways, and translators work from the context to determine which word fits best.

Is God saying, “I’ve chosen you because I love you the best”? Or is God saying, “I’ve chosen you because I’m going to use my relationship with you to express my love to the nations”? Using the word although communicates the former idea; the word for seems to support the latter, and fits better with the context of all Scripture.

The you in this verse is Israel. What if the you was… you?

TODAY’S MEDITATION
How can God’s love in your life overflow to others? Pray: “Lord, I’m available. Who needs you most today?”

No comments:

Post a Comment