Thursday, January 10, 2013

Day 10: Genesis 28, 29 and 30


The Lord will be my God (Genesis 28:21).

Jacob, his father Isaac, and his grandfather Abraham were almost certainly not monotheistic – that is they did not believe in the existence of only one God. They were henotheistic. Henotheism is the belief that one god is superior among a range of lesser gods. It can also mean choosing to worship only one god, even though one still believes in the existence of other gods.

Listen to Jacob: If God will be with me and will watch over me on this journey I am taking and will give me food to eat and clothes to wear so that I return safely to my father’s household, then the Lord will be my God (Genesis 28:20,21).

Some might say the first commandment betrays the same belief during the time of Moses. You shall have no other gods before me (Exodus 20:3). What about during the time of Joshua? As for me and my household, we will serve the Lord (Joshua 24:15). Jacob traveled to Harran in approximately 1700-1650 BC. The nation of Israel’s repeated flirtations with its neighbors’ gods wouldn’t stop until its Babylonian exile (587-536 BC), well over a thousand years later.

Through the prophet Isaiah, God makes it clear: I am the Lord and there is no other (45:5 – also vv. 6 and 18). And yet we worship all kinds of other gods, don’t we?

TODAY’S MEDITATION
What other gods are receiving your worship? Is there anything or anyone keeping you from giving your first love to God alone?

1 comment:

  1. The question made me think long and hard on the things that I hold dear to my heart. I would have to say that one of the things that I thought of was work. I have two jobs and I am actively involved in my church along with my family responsibility. I sometimes feel that there is no time in my day to get everything done that needs to be done. I will sometimes forget to pray in the morning which then turns into not having time to do my devotion for the day. It is a matter of prayer for my wife and I to become better time managers so that we can get our work and devotions done along with all other activities for the day.

    ReplyDelete