Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Day 2: Genesis 4, 5 and 6


Is it my job to take care of my brother? (NCV, Genesis 4:9).

A while back, my family took a train trip to our nation’s capital. We lived for a time in suburban Washington D.C. on the Maryland side, but it had been awhile since we’d visited. We were surprised to encounter so many homeless. On a cold and rainy Sunday morning there were large numbers of impoverished people bundled in dirty blankets sheltered against the elements. At least three people came up to us asking for money, and that’s not counting the wonderful street musicians. I found myself very uncomfortable and avoiding eye contact, as if that made me less responsible to help.

Cain’s question was my question. I was seeking plausible deniability, as if by not seeing I was absolved of my responsibilities.

Lord, when did we see you hungry or thirsty or a stranger or needing clothes or sick or in prison, and did not help you? (Matthew 25:44). We avoided eye contact to limit our liability! Okay, I added that last part… but you get the point, right?

In the coming days you will have to make a choice. Sooner or later you’re going to come into contact with a brother or sister who needs help. You will choose to either 1) avoid eye contact, or 2) intentionally connect with one of God’s precious children. Will you go for plausible deniability, or will you let God touch someone through you?

TODAY’S MEDITATION
How could you touch someone’s life this week? How will you?

No comments:

Post a Comment