Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Day 1: Genesis 1, 2 and 3


In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth (Genesis 1:1).

One of the advantages of reading through the Bible in a year is seeing how diversity and unity can go hand in hand. Sixty-six books, dozens of writers, over a thousand years, and yet the finished product is a beautiful unity, made all the more enticing because of its multiple textures and genres.

In 364 days we will focus on the word omega (the end). Three times God refers to himself as the end, always coupled with alpha (the beginning). Even when our struggles seem to be never ending, God is present and faithful and will be with us long after our troubles have been resolved.

Here at the beginning of a new year and a new excursion through the Scriptures, we focus on the other half – the beginning. Again the unity of the biblical texts catches our eye. In the beginning God created (Genesis 1:1). I am the Alpha (Revelation 1:8). You are worthy . . . for you created all things (Revelation 4:11). When we journey through the Old Testament prophets, we will find a repeating theme in new beginnings beyond each ending (judgment followed by blessing). How beautifully the Word comes full circle.

God still creates; God still re-creates; God is the ultimate artist of beginnings. God is the great Initiator, and is at work even now initiating new life in us, and new and deeper relationship with us. Behold, I make all things new (KJV, Revelation 21:5).

TODAY’S MEDITATION

What does God want to make new in you this year?

1 comment:

  1. Throughout my journey with the Lord, I have found that no matter what He places in my path for me to learn it is up to me to “be still and know” that God is always in control. I have learned that He sends nothing my way that He and I cannot go through. Sometimes the normal response to a question like this is to say that we just want to grow closer to God. I have over the course of my school years done just that but I am not satisfied with where I am in my Christian walk with Him I want more. It is my goal this year to read more pray more and fast more so that I might develop an even closer relationship with Him.

    ReplyDelete