Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Day 15: Genesis 43, 44, 45 and 46


My son Joseph is still alive! (Genesis 45:28).

Jacob’s favorite son had been sold into slavery by his brothers. The evidence they planted convinced him Joseph had been torn apart by wild animals. Meanwhile their brother was transported to Egypt where, without God’s involvement, there was no way the family would ever be reunited.

Time attenuates but does not erase a father’s loss. Then Canaan is hit with the worst famine Jacob can remember from his considerably long lifetime. Who would have thought this hunger sweeping his land would give Jacob reason to rejoice after everything he’d been through? Apparently the fat lady wasn’t singing yet.

Jacob’s sons return from their latest trip with the incredible news that Joseph, the beloved son Jacob had long thought dead, is not only alive and preparing a place for them in Egypt, but he’s running the place! No screenwriter in Hollywood could have conceived this God-ordained turn of events. Though we may not know details of how our story will end, isn’t it good to know we can trust God to work out everything for the good?
 
The Gloom, Despair and Agony on Me of chapters 37 and 42 becomes the Hallelujah Chorus of chapter 46. Could it be the very events that are causing you pain today will be a catalyst for rejoicing in days to come? Whether we have a good day or a bad day often boils down not to our circumstances, but to our perspective.

TODAY’S MEDITATION

In what circumstances or in what areas of your life does God want to help with your perspective?

1 comment:

  1. I think in every area in my life could use a better perspective. I will sometimes find myself looking at thing happening in my life as something wrong instead of looking at it as God teaching me to make me a better Christian. Our perspective can be either pessimistic or optimistic and I think for me most times it is pessimistic. If we have faith in God our outlook on life should be optimistic due to the fact that God is in control of everything and He has our best interest in mind. I pray that God will help me in constantly changing my perspective in life closer and closer to His perspective. I want to be more like Him and less like me every day that is my pray.

    ReplyDelete