Monday, January 26, 2009

Day 26: Exodus 28 - 30

Whenever Aaron enters the Holy Place, he will bear the names of the sons of Israel over his heart on the breastpiece of decision as a continuing memorial before the Lord. (Exodus 28:29)

This is a good lesson for any pastor, any Trustee, any Reaching Servant, any Sunday School teacher, any ministry volunteer, any parent, any sibling, any boss, any employee, and anyone else I've left out.

On Aaron's breastpiece he had twelve stones each engraved with the name of one of the tribes of Israel. On his shoulders he had two stones, each one engraved with six tribes.

On those days when he might not have felt like fulfilling his duties before God, he would be reminded by the stones on his chest and shoulders that in neglecting these things he was not only affecting himself, but neglecting his responsibilities to God's people. And when he entered the Holy Place, the stones would remind him that he was there not only for himself, but as a representative of thousands.

Maybe I don't represent thousands when I enter the Holy Place of God's presence, but I do represent you, and I sense that very deeply.

So let me ask, whose names are written on your chest and shoulders when you go before the Lord in prayer?

3 comments:

  1. "So let me ask, whose names are written on your chest and shoulders when you go before the Lord in prayer"......what a great reminder for all of us. And, it pertains not to just our prayer life, but all that we do in all situations. Somehow I am reminded of how much our society lacks that 'reminder' or accountability to those names that should be written on our chests and shoulders *cough/cough/sam adams/cough/cough*

    ReplyDelete
  2. There's so much detail in all of this, all of it so carefully planned and carried out. I've read of folks arguing over exactly which mineral each one was, etc. which seems to me losing the meaning in splitting hairs - the point is the reminder, as you pointed out so well - but I admit a certain curiosity in why exactly each one was chosen for the tribe it represented. I suppose someday we'll find out...

    I concur, Craig - our current society is very weak in meaningful reminders. Younger folks soemtimes fall back on tattooing themselves as memorials of the main events in their own lives, they have so little else, and we are all of us so adrift without reminders of who we are and where we're going. - Amy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good application, Tim! I never thought of myself wearing those stones, but I suppose I do bear the names of our church family members when I pray for their needs and requests.

    Not only do I bear those names on my heart in a figurative sense... I also keep them on my phone/ Pocket PC as a literal memorial. I try to make a habit of inputting into my phone all of the prayer requests I hear from students and adults throughout the week.

    I carry my phone (with those prayer requests) on me wherever I go, so any place can be a "Holy Place" where I can pray for the people I love!

    ReplyDelete