Sunday, March 29, 2009

Day 88: 2 Samuel 1 - 3

"He asked me, 'Who are you?' " 'An Amalekite,' I answered." (2 Samuel 1:8)

Remember the Amalekites? Review this story of Saul's downfall. This isn't the last time we'll visit this narrative of Saul and Agag. It will come up again when we read Esther.

Yet one more tragic element of this account of Saul's last battle with the Philistines is the often overlooked detail of who ended his life.

Saul was told to destroy the Amalekites. He disobeyed.

Bottom line? What he failed to destroy, in turn destroyed him.

Is there anything in your life that God has told you to get rid of? Take a lesson from Saul.

1 comment:

  1. Again, a new concept - I'd never made that connection before when looking over these accounts. Thanks!

    I admit, my eyes kind of glaze over when reading some accounts of battles (and then this guy went here and killed bazillions of those guys and then they all went *here* and killed more, and then they all went...) so I think I'm missing some of the 'good bits' that are tucked away in the midst of it all sometimes. - Amy

    ReplyDelete