Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Day 84: 1 Samuel 19 - 21

The sword of Goliath the Philistine . . . is here. (1 Samuel 21:9)

Why Ahimelech the priest was scared when David showed up, I don't know. After he got over being startled, he provided David with a meal - the bread that was reserved for the priests and their families. After lunch, David hit the road, but first asked if Ahimelech might possibly have a weapon. And wow! Did Ahimelech have a weapon or what? He pointed David to the sword of Goliath. There is none like it; give it to me.

The very thing that had been raised against David in the Valley of Elah, he would now wield to fight his enemies. I don't want to stretch this too far, but I'm encouraged to know the very thing that my enemy would use to destroy me, may be the weapon with which I'm attacking him in the near future.

On a sadder note, there should be suspenseful music playing at the comment: One of Saul's servants (Doeg the Edomite) was there that day. I've watched enough movies to recognize the dramatic tension present in that line.

Do you feel (or have you ever felt) near defeat? Be encouraged. Satan won't always have you against the ropes. With God's help, you might just find yourself embracing a former weakness as a strength and going on the offensive.

I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ's power may rest on me. (2 Corinthians 12:9)

1 comment:

  1. I heard that dramatic music when I read that line ...

    but I was also surprised to read, "Then Michal took an idol [b] and laid it on the bed, covering it with a garment and putting some goats' hair at the head."

    I was very surprised that David, of all people, would have an idol in his house, and that having an idol in his house, God still had David chosen for the future king, knowing how much God hated idols of any kind.

    ReplyDelete