Friday, December 19, 2008

How to Make Sure Your Comment Doesn't Get Published (1 of 2)

Comments will be moderated before being published. That means that once someone finishes the word verification step (read how to post a comment here), their question/comment comes to my email inbox where it awaits my thumbs up or down. I, and I alone, am responsible for what I allow to pass through my editorial filter. Here are the ways to not get published.

Be anonymous. It is my firm intention that if someone refuses to be accountable for their words, then I’m not going to give them a microphone. If parading your question before the vast readership of 365 Forum causes you anxiety, email it to me, and I’ll be happy to discuss it privately. I’ll probably encourage you to make it public, but it’s okay if you’d rather not. Just remember, we’re developing community here. I’ll do my best to make it a safe neighborhood.

Be mean. I’m not fond of bullies, and I want everyone to feel like they can express their thoughts here without fear of being attacked. On the other hand, sometimes the nicest people can do damage to relationships by not thinking through what they say. We’ve probably all done that; I know I have. If your comment has a harsh edge to it, I will either shoot it back to you for revision, or just hit the delete button, depending on how I perceive the spirit of the comment.

Next: Part Two

No comments:

Post a Comment