Monday, July 22, 2013

Day 203: Ecclesiastes 4, 5 and 6


All toil and all achievement spring from one person’s envy of another (Ecclesiastes 4:4).

My truck is 14 years old with 195,000+ miles. It probably wasn’t the truck I would have picked out for myself, but the friend I bought it from needed a break. Now I can honestly say I love it – best vehicle I’ve ever owned.

There’s nothing special about it. It’s not an extended cab… doesn’t even have power locks or windows. For my younger friends, that means I actually have to turn a crank to raise or lower the windows. I know. Archaic! Unlocking it requires a key! Look it up in an encyclopedia. On the Internet, of course.

When I bought my truck, my kids Ben and Will were 9 and 6. Now they’re 21 and 18. The three of us fitted… fit?... fat?... fitted in the cab a lot easier then than we do now. Picture eyes bugged out, and elbows digging into ribs.

Here’s my point. I’m content with my pick-up… until, that is, I see a TV commercial for a flashy new car or truck... or I drive past the dealership... or I see a new vehicle in my neighbor’s driveway. Then my contentment evaporates and I desperately need a NEW CAR!!! One moment I’m not even thinking about a new car; next minute that’s all I can think about. What was sufficient is no longer good enough; it’s all about keeping up with the Joneses.

TODAY’S MEDITATION
What new thing, bright and shiny, are you coveting? Is there not more to life than that? What desire has God planted in your heart?

No comments:

Post a Comment