Monday, July 8, 2013

Day 189: Psalm 137, 138, 139 and 140


Search me, O God, and know my heart; test me and know my anxious thoughts. See if there be any offensive way in me, and lead me in the way everlasting (NIV 1984, Psalm 139:23,24).

The writer of Psalm 139 affirms his devotion to God and his enmity with those who scheme against God. It may be that he himself has been wrongfully accused, the focus of gossip and innuendo or even an illegitimate investigation.

First he explores God’s all encompassing presence. Where can I go that you cannot find me? Where can I run that you can’t get there first? (Author’s Paraphrase, v. 7). Then he reflects on the creative act and how well his Maker knows him. You know me better than I know myself.

Perhaps the gist of his prayer is this: God, you formed me; you’ve known me from the start. You’ve seen my actions and the motives behind them. You know the accusations against me. I need to know if I have any culpability in this situation. Search me, try me; see if there be any wicked way in me, so I can confess my sin to you and find the path to life everlasting.

David has full confidence that he is in the right, that no accusations are warranted. At the same time, he is willing to spread those complaints out before the Lord for the only verdict that matters.

TODAY’S MEDITATION
When’s the last time you asked God to shine his spotlight on the hidden places of your life? Pray honestly and slowly through Psalm 139:23,24. Realize that whatever God shows you is for your own good and because he loves you so much.

No comments:

Post a Comment