Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Day 176: Psalm 85, 86, 87 and 88


Great is your love toward me (Psalm 86:13).

Teach me your way, O Lord, and I will walk in your truth; give me an undivided heart, that I may fear your name. I will praise you, O God, with all my heart; I will glorify your name forever. For great is your love toward me (NIV 1984, vv. 11-13).

The Apostle Paul reminds us that it is God’s kindness that leads us to repentance (Romans 2:4). John writes: We love because he first loved us (1 John 4:19). Nothing but love will produce lasting change in the heart. Cash payments won’t do it. Keeping a list of rules and regulations won’t do it. Threats of eternal damnation won’t do it.

The psalmist asks God to teach him his way that he might walk in obedience – not out of obligation, not from hope of reward, and not out of fear – but out of the dawning realization of God’s love for him. Give me an undivided heart that I may fear your name. Translation: Give me perfect love for you that I may give you the respect and obedience your name deserves. Why? Because great is your love for me.

Only love begets love. And we don’t initiate it; God does. God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us (Romans 5:8).

What wondrous love is this!

TODAY’S MEDITATION
How have you experienced God’s wondrous love this week?

No comments:

Post a Comment