Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Day 205: Ecclesiastes 10, 11 and 12


Whoever watches the wind will not plant. (Ecclesiastes 11:4)

In the Gospel according to Ian Flemming we are introduced to Apostle Bond… James Bond. Bond has so many qualities that make him uniquely 007, but the one most crucial to his survival is that he never hesitates. He sees an opportunity and he acts. I think of Pierce Brosnan jumping off the hydroelectric dam and skydiving into the cockpit of a freefalling small plane, taking the controls and flying himself to safety (GoldenEye, 1995). Or there was the time Roger Moore had to escape in the everglades from the henchman’s lair surrounded by alligator infested waters. He simply ran across the pond stepping on the backs of each alligator in turn until he was safely across (Live and Let Die, 1973).

If that was me, I’d stand there having a debate with myself. “Should I go now? No. Maybe now? No.” And I’d wind up with a bullet in my back before I even made up my mind!

I had no idea the preacher of Ecclesiastes was a 007 fan, but apparently he was. He taught that it was better to seize and opportunity, even if it’s less than perfect, than to wait for perfect conditions that may never come. General George Patton remarked: “A good plan today is better than a perfect plan tomorrow.”

How many good opportunities have we let slip through our fingers because we were waiting for the perfect opportunity? And did that perfect opportunity come? Probably not.

What are you waiting for?

No comments:

Post a Comment