Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Day 199: Proverbs 22, 23 and 24

The sluggard says, “There is a lion outside!” or, “I will be murdered in the streets!” (Proverbs 22:13)

This proverb illustrates one character flaw common to many of us. We’re good at making excuses for playing it safe. I golfed with a friend in Washington who made an excuse for every bad shot… and he hit a lot of bad shots. I hit bad shots too. Know why? Because I’m not a very good golfer! My friend was making excuses for trying and failing. Notice the subject of this proverb is making excuses for not even trying! If I go out in the streets I may get mauled by a lion! Maybe I’d better just stay in bed with the covers pulled up over my head. Better safe than sorry.

That’s just sad! But I’ve done it, and I bet you have too. If I make the wrong choice, things won’t work out the way I want. If I try out for the team, I might not make it. If I make this change, even though it’s necessary, I might offend someone. Better safe than sorry.

In Jesus’ words, this is tantamount to wrapping our talent in a cloth and burying it in the back yard (Matthew 25:14-30). When I was a teenager there was a popular inspirational poster picturing a sailing ship on the ocean. The caption read: A ship in a harbor is safe, but that’s not what ships are built for.

What were you made for?

No comments:

Post a Comment