Thursday, July 12, 2012

Day 193: Proverbs 4, 5 and 6


Can a man walk on hot coals without his feet being scorched? (Proverbs 6:28)

One of the recurring themes of Proverbs is the subject of consequences… the way things can come back to haunt us when we’re not looking. In fact, the writers warn that if we indulge in certain behaviors, we should expect them to backfire on us. Biblical scholars call it retribution theology. Do right and be blessed; do wrong and be cursed (if that sounds like Deuteronomy, that’s because Deuteronomy is where it got its start). This will come up repeatedly in our study of Proverbs because Proverbs is built on the foundation of retribution theology. In this particular proverb, the lesson is about giving in to lust, but it also applies to every situation where the consequences can get the better of us.

And while we’ve learned that being an honorable person is no guarantee that trouble won’t find us (bad things do happen to good people), if we indulge in certain behaviors, aren’t we just asking for it?

If I dig a pit, doesn’t it serve me right if I fall in? If I tease a barking dog, should it come as any surprise when I get bitten? If I walk on hot coals, shouldn’t I expect to get burned?

And if I open the door to sexual temptation, why would I play the victim card when I get caught? A man who commits adultery has no sense; whoever does so destroys himself (v. 32).

Are you playing with fire in any part of your life?

No comments:

Post a Comment