Sunday, July 22, 2012

Day 203: Ecclesiastes 4, 5 and 6


All labor and all achievement spring from man's envy of his neighbor. (Ecclesiastes 4:4)

My truck is 13 years old with 180,000+ miles. It probably wasn’t the truck I would have picked out for myself, but the friend I bought it from needed a break. Now I can honestly say I love it – best vehicle I've ever owned.

There's nothing special about it. It's not an extended cab… doesn't even have power locks or windows. For my younger friends, that means I actually have to turn a crank to raise or lower the windows. I know. Archaic! Unlocking it requires a key! Look it up in an encyclopedia. Online, of course.

When I bought my truck, my kids Ben and Will were 9 and 6. Now they're 20 and 17. The three of us fit in the cab a lot easier then than we do now. Picture eyes bugged out, and elbows digging into ribs.

Here's my point. I'm content with my pick-up. Until, that is, I see a TV commercial for a flashy new car or truck... or I drive past the dealership... or I see a new vehicle in my neighbor’s driveway. Then my contentment evaporates and I desperately need a NEW CAR!!! One moment I'm not even thinking about a new car; next minute that's all I can think about. What was sufficient is no longer good enough; it's all about keeping up with the Joneses.


What new thing, bright and shiny, are you coveting?

No comments:

Post a Comment