Saturday, March 27, 2010

Day 84: 1 Samuel 19, 20 and 21

The sword of Goliath the Philistine . . . is here. (1 Samuel 21:9)
Ahimelech the priest was scared when David showed up. I'm sure the tension between Saul and David was no secret. After his initial discomfort, Ahimelech provided David and his men with a meal. After eating it was time to go, but first David asked if there were any available weapons. And did Ahimelech have a weapon or what? He pointed David to the sword of Goliath. There is none like it; give it to me.
The very blade that had been raised against David in the Valley of Elah, he would now wield against his enemies. I don't want to stretch this too far, but I'm encouraged to know the very thing that my enemy would use to destroy me, may be a weapon I can use to attack him in the future. I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ's power may rest on me (2 Corinthians 12:9).
On a sadder note, there should have been suspenseful music playing at the comment: One of Saul's servants (Doeg the Edomite) was there that day. I've watched enough movies to recognize the dramatic tension present in that line.
Has Satan ever had you up against the ropes? What weakness of yours could God help transform into a strength, allowing you to go on the offensive.

No comments:

Post a Comment