Thursday, March 11, 2010

Day 70: Judges 1, 2 and 3

The Lord raised up judges, who saved them. (Judges 2:16)
Here in the opening chapters of Judges the writer sets the stage not only for the rest of the book, but for hundreds of years of Israel chasing after foreign gods. Theirs was a rollercoaster ride of faith and faithlessness. Every time God raised up a judge to lead and deliver them, Israel would follow his (or her) example of faithfulness as long as he was alive, but once he died, the nation would forget his ways and Yahweh too.
The third chapter introduces three judges. We've already met the first. Othiel is Caleb's nephew, who captures Kiriath Sepher and wins the hand of Caleb's daughter in the process (gotta love an action romance story - probably had explosions... maybe not).
Then we meet Ehud, the left-handed judge. This was a paradox - the right hand was the hand of honor; being left-handed was a euphemism for being dishonest, or at the very least crafty. To that regard, Ehud lived up to his rep, using subterfuge to assassinate Moab's king and free Israel from Moabite oppression.
The ongoing pattern for this book is Israel rejects God; Israel gets in trouble; they cry out to God for relief; God raises up a judge who delivers them and leads them until his death, at which time Israel once again rejects God.
Ever get yourself into trouble and then cry out to God to save you?

2 comments:

  1. I do believe that sometime in everyones life they get themselves into trouble and then cry out to God for help...(maybe not cry but in different ways such as begging or praying!). I have in times in my life been in this situation. For instance this semester I am taking 3 (2 night classes,1 online) classes, working part-time, taking care of 4 children and a husband, running a small pool business from home, and taking care of meals, laundry, Dr. & Dentist appts., and cooking daily.
    You better believe I feel like I have gotten myself into more than I can handle and I pray to God every night to give me the strength to make it through. So far I believe that God has heard my prayers. God has blessed me with the family I have and I thank him daily for each and every blessing in my life!
    Cindy Gaddy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cindy,
    I'm sorry I didn't respond sooner but I'm responding now.
    I agree with you. We all get ourselves in over our heads at times. I'm thankful my family gave me the freedom to complete my undergrad degree and then my masters.
    They share our sacrifice, don't they?
    God will get you through.
    Love your family,
    Tim

    ReplyDelete