Monday, March 1, 2010

Day 59: Deuteronomy 25, 26 and 27

My father was a wandering Aramean. (Deuteronomy 26:5)
In the waning days of their desert experience, the Israelites were anticipating how things would be different once they were settled in Canaan. Once they had taken the land, and moved in to houses they had not built, and harvested gardens they had not planted, they were to bring the first fruits of the harvest to the priest as a tithe belonging to God. They were to speak these words: My father was a wandering Aramean, and he went down to Egypt with a few people and lived there and became a great nation, powerful and numerous. But the Eqyptians mistreated us and made us suffer . . . So the Lord brought us out of Egypt (Deuteronomy 26:5-8).
They were being reminded that while enjoying the blessings of God they should never forget their humble beginnings and how far God had brought them.
My grandfather was a poor man working oil leases, coal mines and railroads (whatever he could find) in Western Pennsylvania. My father, brought up during the Great Depression, dropped out of high school so he could go to work and help support the family. I thank the Lord my kids are looking ahead to college and where life will take them.
May we never forget our roots and with God's help, how far we've come.
Where are your roots? How far has God brought you?

1 comment:

  1. I spent this morning reflecting on my faith journey and putting it into a "few" words. I can't eplain what happened to me today as I did this. But I began to see the past few years with a different perspective. Kind of like backing away from the forest far enough to grasp the size of the trees. To be able to recognize where I have come from and all that God has brought me through. To think that I can see light at the end of the tunnel, even if it is just the opening as the tunnel bends back into the rock. I know that God has been and will be there by my side.!! I ended my time this morning with a smile on my face and praising God!!

    ReplyDelete