Thursday, February 12, 2009

Day 43: Numbers 13 - 15

We should choose a leader and go back to Egypt. (Numbers 14:4)

Obviously the problem here was not the lack of a leader, but the lack of followers. Of the twelve spies, ten saw only the problems, while Joshua and Caleb saw the possibilities. And, as usual, the naysayers carried the day.

When I stand before my judge, I pray that I'm not counted with those who stopped the forward momentum of the church because I thought my glass was half empty.

The Israelites wanted to choose a leader who would take them back to Egypt. In other words, they were looking for someone who would take polls and follow majority rule. That's not leadership. Leaders don't let a group turn tail because of fear; they confront that fear and find one way or another to move the group forward.
-
If you see only the problems, find a leader who sees the potential.

2 comments:

  1. Good point about the moaning and groaning about leadership, and the responsibility of the follower as well.

    Still like how various small bits I've completely forgotten surface - like here, in the midst of this familiar "spies" tale, I find a bunch of people who had second thoughts about their doubts *after* the consequences were announced and tried to go into the land anyway only to be beaten back down. Sorry guys - missed the boat! Next departure from this dock in 40 years. - Amy

    ReplyDelete