Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Day 41: Numbers 7 - 9

They may assist . . . but they themselves must not do the work. (Numbers 8:26)

How about that Chapter 7, huh? But let's look at Chapter 8.

Here is Israel's blueprint for apprenticeship, career, mentoring and retirement. Notice that Levite men could start working at age 25. After a 25-year career, they encountered the Levitical retirement requirement. But they didn't retire to Florida to play shuffleboard the rest of their lives. They retired to teach.

They may have initiated the age old mentoring formula: 1) I do; 2) I do, you watch; 3) I do, you help; 4) We do together; 5) You do, I help; 6) You do, I watch; and 7) You do.

Who mentored you? Who are you mentoring?

1 comment:

  1. This week I have been teaching our students about the importance of finding and being a mentor. We have been looking specifically at Paul's encouragement and instruction included in his second letter to Timothy.

    When I was a teenager in Vancouver, a man named Cory McDaniel mentored me. I've had some great mentors since then... Matt Stimmel, Terry McLassen, Bob Maguire, to name a few. I am particularly excited about the mentoring relationship that I am gaining from you, Pastor Tim!

    When I make the decision to mentor someone, it is often based on his desire to be mentored. I always need to rely on the Holy Spirit to recognize that desire, because it may not be communicated in obvious ways.

    ReplyDelete