Thursday, October 18, 2012

Day 290: Matthew 10, 11 and 12

Whoever acknowledges me before men, I will also acknowledge him before my Father in heaven. (Matthew 10:32)

At first glance, the second half of Matthew 10 is depressing. Brother will betray brother (v. 21); All men will hate you (v. 22); If the head of the house has been called Beelzebub, how much more the members of his household! (v. 25). If Jesus is recruiting, I would be surprised if he has much success.

Jesus warns his followers that they are assuming certain risks if they walk as Jesus walks. People may impugn your motives (vv. 24,25); in living out the Christian life you will undoubtedly face persecution (v. 28); and your enemy will make you question your own self-worth and whether or not God loves you (v. 29). But some risks are worth taking. Too often we focus on the warnings, and miss the promises. Three times here Jesus says: Do not be afraid (vv. 26,28,31).

When people question your motives, do not be afraid. When you face persecution, do not be afraid. When your enemy tempts you to question whether or not God loves you, do not be afraid.

Then, note the BIG promise: If anyone acknowledges me before men, I will also acknowledge him before my Father in heaven. Here’s how I paraphrase that: If you stand up for me, I’ll stand up for you.

Tell the truth. Are you afraid if you take a risk, God will leave you twisting in the wind?

No comments:

Post a Comment