Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Day 178: Psalms 93, 94, 95 and 96


The world is firmly established; it cannot be moved. (Psalm 93:1)

Geocentrists interpret this verse and others to suggest that the earth is at the center of the universe and does not move – neither does it rotate on its axis, nor does it revolve around the sun.

Though I crinkle my forehead at their scientific conclusions, I applaud their high view of humanity as God’s creation. If mankind truly is God’s crowning creation, why wouldn’t the earth be at the universe’s center with the sun revolving around it?

In Carl Sagan’s 1997 film Contact, Astronomer Dr. Eleanor Arroway (played by Jodie Foster) recalls a conversation with her father. Do you think there’s alien life in the universe? His reply: If there’s not, that’s an awful waste of space. He might think a diamond engagement ring is an awful waste of money too. Whether there’s other life in the universe or not, I don’t know; although I’ll go on record as saying I really don’t think so. I think the stars in the heavens are a beautiful bauble created by a loving bridegroom as a gift to his bride.

While I don’t think the earth is necessarily the center of the universe or that it remains solidly planted in space, never moving or spinning, I rejoice that we are the center of God’s universe. For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son,… (John 3:16).

How has God shown his love for you?

No comments:

Post a Comment