Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Day 170: Psalms 61, 62, 63 and 64


You have given me the heritage of those who fear your name. (Psalm 61:5)

Our heritage is something that has been passed down from preceding generations. One definition simply puts it: something that can be inherited. [1] This brings to mind two questions: What can those who fear God inherit that others cannot? What can those who fear God pass along to their children that others cannot?

From my parents I inherited a love for the church. It has always had and will always have a special place in my heart and in my priorities. I also have a love for older saints. I see in them a devotion to God and a spiritual maturity born of faithfulness in adversity. These are things to which I aspire.

What can I pass along to my children? Hopefully the same things. I also want my kids to utilize the brains God gave them to ask hard questions while keeping their minds open that they might discern truth. I want them to know that despite difficult times God has always been faithful to me, and they can count on him too.

But this verse is more about what we receive as children of God than about what we receive from our parents. “I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future (Jeremiah 29:11).”

What do you have coming to you?

[1] Heritage. Dictionary.com. Dictionary.com Unabridged. Random House, Inc. <http://www.dictionary.reference.com/browse/heritage> (accessed June 19, 2010).

No comments:

Post a Comment