Monday, June 25, 2012

Day 176: Psalms 85, 86, 87 and 88


Great is your love toward me. (Psalm 86:13)

Teach me your way, O Lord, and I will walk in your truth; give me an undivided heart, that I may fear your name. I will praise you, O God, with all my heart; I will glorify your name forever. For great is your love toward me (vv. 11-13).

The Apostle Paul reminds us that it is God’s kindness that leads us to repentance (Romans 2:4). John writes: We love because he first loved us (1 John 4:19). Nothing but love will produce lasting change in the heart. Cash payments won’t do it. Keeping a list of rules and regulations won’t do it. Threats of eternal damnation won’t do it.

The psalmist asks God to teach him his way that he might walk in obedience; not out of obligation, not from hope of reward, and not out of fear, but out of the dawning realization of God’s love for him. Give me an undivided heart that I may fear your name. Translation: Give me perfect love for you that I may give you the respect and obedience your name deserves. Why? Because great is your love for me.

Only love begets love. And we don’t initiate it; God does. God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us (Romans 5:8).

What wondrous love is this!

How have you experienced God’s love this week?

2 comments:

  1. Tim- can you provide some background to Psalm 88? Who was in such despair?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tim,

    How is Psalm 92 reflect a song for the Sabbath day? Does it have something to do with the opening verses where the writer speaks of our ability to take refuge with the Lord? Verse 1-2?

    ReplyDelete