Sunday, December 18, 2011

Day 352: Hebrews 4, 5 and 6

Let us then approach God's throne of grace with confidence, so that we may receive mercy and find grace to help us in our time of need. (Hebrews 4:16)

Growing up, I watched the 1939 (hard to believe) film of L. Frank Baum's The Wizard of Oz on TV every year. One scene I'm sure we all remember is when Dorothy, along with the Scarecrow, Tin Man and Cowardly Lion first meets the Wizard. He appears as a floating, disembodied head surrounded by smoke and flames. The four grovel before him begging for help.

Isn't that often the attitude we bring in approaching God? It reminds me of the scene from Monty Python and the Holy Grail when God gives King Arthur his quest:

God: Arthur, Arthur, King of the Britons. Oh, don't grovel! If there's one thing I can't stand, it's people groveling. 

Arthur: Sorry... 

God: And don't apologize! Every time I try to talk to someone it's "Sorry this," and "Forgive me that," and "I'm not worthy." What are you doing now? 

Arthur: I'm averting my eyes, O Lord. 

God: Well don't. 

According to Psalm 100, God invites us into his presence with thanksgiving and praise. The writer of Hebrews says to come with confidence, and that we don't need to wait until we're worthy (until we don't need help anymore), but that we will receive mercy and find grace to help us in our time of need.

What do you  need from God today?

No comments:

Post a Comment