Saturday, December 3, 2011

Day 337: 2 Corinthians 7, 8 and 9

Let us purify ourselves from everything that contaminates body and spirit. (2 Corinthians 7:1)

I was preaching through Paul's letters to the Corinthians some years ago, and when I came to this verse I stopped in my tracks. The Holy Spirit got my attention, spoke into my life about some changes I needed to make, and promised to help.

I made one change right then and there. I tossed my 32-ounce Coke [1] from McDonald's into a trash barrel and vowed I wasn't going to let sugar and caffeine control me anymore. I had tried stopping before, but failed. This time, though, things were different. Now I go years between Cokes instead of hours. And when I do imbibe, it doesn't hook me the way it used to.

Since then, I've pretty much broken with the whole sweet tea (best thing about the South) thing too. And if I'm not drinking Coke or sweet tea, there's really no other reason to go through the McDonald's drive-thru... or any other drive-thru. In fact, what the Holy Spirit started in my life several years ago has about bankrupted the fast food industry. And not only has it made a huge difference in my eating habits, it's also significantly lowered the number on my scale every morning.

As I continue walking in freedom, God loves me enough to show me other areas where I need to change. With his help I'm decontaminating my body and my spirit.

Do you need to decontaminate?

[1] Cola drinks may be fine for you, but they were enslaving me. Please don't take this as me saying anyone else should quit drinking soda or eating fast food. That's between you and God... and your doctor.

No comments:

Post a Comment