Thursday, July 22, 2010

Day 203: Ecclesiastes 4, 5 and 6

All labor and all achievement spring from man's envy of his neighbor. (Ecclesiastes 4:4)
My truck is 11 years old with 170,000+ miles. It probably wasn't the truck I would have picked out for myself, but the woman I bought it from needed the money. Now I can honestly say I love it - best vehicle I've ever owned.
There's nothing special about my truck. It's not an extended cab, and doesn't even have power locks or windows. For my younger friends, that means one actually has to turn a crank to raise or lower the windows. I know. Archaic! Unlocking it requires a key! Look it up in an encyclopedia. I mean on line.
When I bought my truck, Ben and Will were 9 and 6. Now they're 18 and allllmost 15. The three of us fit in the cab a lot easier then than we do now. Picture eyes bugged out, and elbows digging into ribs.
Here's my point. I'm content with my truck. Until, that is, I see a TV commercial for a flashy new car or truck... or I drive past the dealership... or I see a new vehicle in my neighbor's driveway. Then my contentment evaporates and I desperately need a NEW CAR!!! One moment I'm not even thinking about a new car; next minute that's all I can think about. What was good enough is no longer sufficient. It's all about keeping up with the Joneses.
What new thing, bright and shiny, are you coveting?

No comments:

Post a Comment