Wednesday, December 11, 2013

Day 345: 1 Thessalonians 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5


You are our hope, our joy, and the crown we will take pride in when our Lord Jesus Christ comes (NCV, 1 Thessalonians 2:19).

As the year winds down and Christmas approaches, I’m catching visions of people from my past... people who have made a difference in my life, and some for whom (hopefully) I’ve made a difference in theirs.

I think about Evelyn Musolff, who was my Sunday School teacher when I was eight. I’ll never forget her. Or Larry Best, another Sunday School teacher when I was a pre-teen. I remember him taking me and a friend trout fishing on opening day. Both Evelyn and Larry passed away in just the last few months. I think of Beverly Kerstetter, my piano teacher, who confessed to me years later that every week as I played, she sat next to me praying that God would use my music for his kingdom. And of course there was my mom and dad. From my mom I learned a subtle lesson of how to persevere when things aren’t going my way, and in a more overt way my dad was the greatest spiritual influence in my life.

This Thessalonians passage reminds me that bank accounts, fancy cars, media broadcasts and publishing deals are not how I measure my impact as a minister of the gospel of Jesus Christ. When I stand before God, my reward will be Christ, and the changed lives of those connected to him because I was available and there for them when they needed me.

TODAY’S MEDITATION
Thank God for those whose ministries have touched your life. How will you now positively impact others with the good news of Jesus Christ?

No comments:

Post a Comment