Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Day 96: 1 Kings 1, 2 and 3

Solomon offered a thousand burnt offerings on that altar. (1 Kings 3:4)
At some point, probably soon after the devastating military loss at the Battle of Shiloh, the tabernacle was moved to Gibeon. But what's a tabernacle without the Ark of the Covenant? After the ark was captured by the Philistines, and then returned, it would never again be housed in Moses' Tabernacle. For many years (throughout the reign of Saul and beyond) it was sheltered in the house of Abinadab. When David conquered Jersualem, he set up a new tent for the ark called Zion, but Moses' Tabernacle remained at Gibeon.
There was no altar for burnt offerings at Zion, so Solomon went to Gibeon, where he offered up a thousand sacrifices. In return for this act of worship, or more likely because of Solomon's heart behind the worship, God offered the king anything he asked for, and Solomon asked for wisdom. In addition to wisdom, God promised Solomon all the wealth and power he could have asked for.
Extravagant worship. Extravagant blessing.
Could there be a connection?
And your argument for dignified, restrained worship was what again?

2 comments:

  1. Professor Irwin -
    My grandmother's maiden name was Solomon..It was Myrtice Lutille Solomon she was part German and part Jew. I just thought that was rather interesting that I just happened to log onto the blog today and it had something to do with Solomon (maybe it is a sign that I should pray for wisdom...LOL :-)

    I really think your blog is something that I need to make a habit of and log in everyday! I think it is really something that you take time out of your life and your daily activities to make this happen! Thanks for being inspiring and making a diffenence...God bless you!
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Cindy,

    My blog was birthed out of my desire to journal about my daily Bible reading. Somehow writing a few paragraphs helps me make better sense of what I'm reading.

    So what you're reading is a third of my daily time with God: reading, writing, praying.

    Your note is a great encouragement to me.

    ReplyDelete