Sunday, January 24, 2010

Day 23: Exodus 19, 20 and 21

Now if you obey me fully and keep my covenant, then out of all nations you will be my treasured possession. Although the whole earth is mine... (Exodus 19:5)
That's pretty much the way most translations seem to read that verse, but (especially if you're reading from the Bible Gateway links available on this blog) maybe you've seen a different translation: ...out of all nations you will be my treasured possession, for the whole earth is mine. The original word can be translated both ways, and translators work from the context to determine which word fits best.
Is God saying, I've chosen you because I love you the best? Or is God saying, I've chosen you because I'm going to use my relationship with you to express my love to all nations? Granted, most translations use the word although, yet the word for seems to fit best with the context of all Scripture.
What if you applied the same rationale to your Christian life?
Are there those walking alongside you who need to receive an expression of love? How will you intentionally show them God's love this week?

No comments:

Post a Comment