Sunday, November 24, 2013

Day 328: Romans 10, 11 and 12


Do not conform to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind (Romans 12:2).

Occasionally I am tasked with creating worship slides for projection. Since the chorus is repeated after every verse, I simply cut and paste the original lyric into its new spot as many times as it’s needed. This works fine unless there’s a typo in the original slide because then all my cutting and pasting replicates that same mistake into every chorus.

Given the opportunity, our environment will imprint its values and behaviors on us. Not easily ignored, society aggressively cuts and pastes its way of doing things into our thinking. Paul is telling us we don’t have to be carbon copies of the world around us. Rather than being clones of our culture, we can reflect the character of our Creator.

When I access certain programs on my laptop, it asks, Do you want to allow the following program to make changes to this computer? There are also, even though they are more subtle, prompts I receive from the Holy Spirit when my environment tries to make deleterious changes to my programming.

The world is doggedly determined to find its way into my brain. If I want to submit my conscious mind as well as my subconscious to the life-changing power of the Spirit, I must be intentional about connecting with God and his Word.

TODAY’S MEDITATION
How do you give God access to your mind and spirit?

No comments:

Post a Comment