Monday, September 16, 2013

Day 259: Ezekiel 34, 35 and 36


You are my sheep, the sheep of my pasture, and I am your God, declares the Sovereign Lord (Ezekiel 34:31).

The prophet Ezekiel rebukes the shepherds of Israel. This would include anyone and everyone whom God had placed in a position of leadership within the community: kings, priests and self-appointed prophets. They have abused their authority and exploited the poor and the weak, while they grow rich and fat.

I will search for the lost and bring back the strays. I will bind up the injured and strengthen the weak, but the sleek and the strong I will destroy. I will shepherd the flock with justice (v. 16).

Jesus was almost certainly thinking of Ezekiel when he announced, I am the good shepherd. The good shepherd lays down his life for the sheep (John 10:11). The Pharisees had to recognize his inference that if he was the Good Shepherd, willing to lay down his life for the sheep, then they were filling the role of Ezekiel’s self-serving shepherds, what Jesus would call hired hands (John 10:12). Rather than laying down their lives for the sheep, they sacrificed the sheep to benefit themselves.

It is a relief to know that God cares about the weak sheep and the wounded sheep, because sometimes I’m weak and sometimes I’m wounded. Thank God for his promise: I will bind up the injured and strengthen the weak (34:16).

The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want. He maketh me to lie down in green pastures; he leadeth me beside the still waters. He restoreth my soul (KJV, Psalm 23:1-3).

TODAY’S MEDITATION
What wounds can the Shepherd can heal for you?
 

No comments:

Post a Comment