Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Day 331: 1 Corinthians 4, 5 and 6


I have the right to do anything (1 Corinthians 6:12).
Paul rebukes the Corinthians for abusing their freedom in Christ. “I have the right to do anything,” you say – but not everything is beneficial. “I have the right to do anything,” – but I will not be mastered by anything (6:12 in its entirety).
In a self-indulgent society that sometimes rubs off even on the church, Paul gives us some guidelines for discerning whether or not certain choices are wise. Just because something is legal or permissible doesn’t mean it’s smart. Paul gives two assessments.
It’s permissible, but is it good for me? Some things won’t hurt me, but they won’t help me either.  They aren’t necessarily bad for me, but they’re definitely not good for me. Does that mean I can never indulge? No, of course not. An occasional chocolate bar is a delicious treat, but eating one every day is diabetes waiting to happen.
It’s permissible, but could it master me? Though I personally choose not to drink, I know the biblical writers never say we should avoid alcohol completely. At one point Paul actually recommends wine for its medicinal value (1 Timothy 5:23), although in another place he warns against drunkenness (Romans 13:13). My father and both my grandfathers struggled with alcoholism, so my decision not to drink at all is based more on family history than religious conviction.

Is it good for me? Could it master me? God leaves some things to our own discretion.
TODAY’S MEDITATION
How do you use good judgment regarding “permissible” things?

No comments:

Post a Comment