Sunday, September 16, 2012

Day 259: Ezekiel 34, 35 and 36


You my sheep, the sheep of my pasture, are people, and I am your God, declares the Sovereign Lord (Ezekiel 34:31).

The prophet Ezekiel rebukes the shepherds of Israel. This would include anyone and everyone whom God had placed in a position of leadership within the community: kings, priests and prophets. They have abused their authority and exploited the poor and the weak, while they grew rich and fat.

I will search for the lost and bring back the strays. I will bind up the injured and strengthen the weak, but the sleek and the strong I will destroy. I will shepherd the flock with justice (v. 16).
 
Those whose responsibility was to care for the sheep have instead cared only for themselves, becoming wealthy at the others’ expense. Unlike an earthly shepherd who would breed the strong and butcher the weak, the Good Shepherd will destroy those who have abused others to benefit their own cause.

It is a relief to know that God cares about the weak sheep and the wounded sheep, because sometimes I’m weak and sometimes I’m wounded. Thank God for his promise: I will bind up the injured and strengthen the weak.

Do you have wounds the Shepherd can heal?

No comments:

Post a Comment