Sunday, March 25, 2012

Day 84: 1 Samuel 19, 20 and 21


The sword of Goliath the Philistine . . . is here. (1 Samuel 21:9)

Ahimelech the priest was scared when David showed up. I’m sure the tension between Saul and David was no secret. After his initial discomfort, the priest provided David and his men with a meal. After eating it was time to go, but first David asked if there were any available weapons. And did Ahimelech have a weapon or what? He pointed David to the sword of Goliath. There is none like it; give it to me.

The very blade that had been raised against David in the Valley of Elah, he would now wield against his enemies. I don't want to stretch this too far, but I'm encouraged to know the very thing that my enemy would use to destroy me, may with God’s help be a weapon I can use to attack him in the future. I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ's power may rest on me (2 Corinthians 12:9).

On a sadder note, there should have been suspenseful music playing at the comment: One of Saul's servants (Doeg the Edomite) was there that day. I've watched enough movies to recognize the foreshadowing and dramatic tension present in that line.

When Satan has you up against the ropes, will you surrender, or give God everything you’ve got, including your weaknesses?

What weakness of yours could God transform into a strength, allowing you to go on the offensive?

2 comments:

  1. 12 So Michal let David down through a window, and he fled and escaped. 13 Then Michal took an idol and laid it on the bed, covering it with a garment and putting some goats’ hair at the head.

    I was surprised to see David and his wife Michal had idols in their house. With God hating idols so much, why would he love David so if he also had idols in his own home?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nothing we do or don't do changes the fact that God loves us with an everlasting love (Jeremiah 31:3). I can only imagine that this was Michal's idol and not David's.

    ReplyDelete