Friday, February 10, 2012

Day 41: Numbers 7, 8 and 9


They may assist . . . but they themselves must not do the work. (Numbers 8:26)

If you read chapter 7, you probably join me in being thankful there were only twelve tribes. Am I right? Every day representatives brought offerings on behalf of their tribes. The first day Nahshon brought Judah’s gift. The second day Nethanel brought Issachar’s gift. The third day Eliab of Zebulon, the fourth day Elizur, the fifth day… and day after day another leader, another tribe, another gift for the tabernacle. After 12 tribes in 12 days and 89 repetitive verses, I have to admit I am always ready for chapter 8.

Chapter 8 includes Israel's blueprint for apprenticeship, career, mentoring and retirement. Notice that Levite men could start working at age 25. Then after a 25-year career, they encountered the Levitical retirement requirement. But they didn't move to Florida to play shuffleboard the rest of their lives; they retired to teach. They initiated the age old mentoring formula: 1) I do; 2) I do, you help; 3) you do, I help; 4) you do. Hey, it still makes good sense.

Did someone come alongside you when you were getting your start, or did you just get thrown in the deep end? I know too often that’s the way we do things in the church. Every one of us should be recruiting and training our replacement. Who mentored you? Who are you mentoring?

When you hang up your spurs, who’s going to take your place?

No comments:

Post a Comment