Friday, November 11, 2011

Day 315: John 19, 20 and 21

[Jesus] said to [his mother], "Woman, here is your son," and to the disciple, "Here is your mother." (John 19:26,27)

In his wonderful book How to Live Through a Bad Day, Pastor Jack Hayford uses the seven last words of Jesus (Jesus' seven last statements from the cross) to show how the Savior made it through his worst day, and how we can make it through our bad days too. [1]

At one point, Jesus sees his mother standing there. In spite of what he was enduring, as her oldest son, Jesus still honored his duty to make sure his mother would be cared for after he was gone. Most of us would think, I'm having a bad enough day without having to take responsibility for anyone else! Not Jesus. He didn't forget that those closest to him still had needs regardless of how bad a day he was having.

How many times have I spoken impatiently to my wife and kids, allowing my selfish needs to trump theirs? How many times have I, in the middle of my hectic schedule, passed by someone in need while I hurried off attending to church duties? I must take a lesson from Jesus and realize if he could arrange for his mother's care while suffering on the cross, then I can be patient with and caring for others even when I'm having a stress-filled day.

Is there someone whose care you've neglected because you've been having a bad day?

[1] Hayford, Jack. How to Live Through a Bad Day. Nashville: Thomas Nelson, 2001.

No comments:

Post a Comment