Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Day 271: Hosea 11, 12, 13 and 14

My heart is changed within me; all my compassion is aroused. . . . For I am God, and not man. (Hosea 11:8,9)

Some people say God cannot change his mind because that would imply imperfection. Hosea says that sometimes God changes his mind precisely because he is God.

Israel deserved to be punished: My people are determined to turn from me (v. 7). Whereas Israel, in its obstinance, was determined to turn away from God, God in his compassion was determined to turn toward Israel. How can I give you up, Ephraim? How can I hand you over, Israel? (v. 8)

God invites them: Return, O Israel, to the Lord your God. Your sins have been your downfall! Take words with you and return to the Lord. Say to him: "Forgive all our sins and receive us graciously, that we may offer the fruit of our lips. Assyria cannot save us; we will not mount war-horses. We will never again say, 'Our gods' to what our own hands have made, for in you the fatherless find compassion" (14:1-3).

Five hundred years earlier, Moses had written: The Lord, the Lord, the compassionate and gracious God, slow to anger, abounding in love and faithfulness, maintaining love to thousands, and forgiving wickedness, rebellion and sin (Exodus 34:6,7).

When you're in trouble, do you turn to God, or do you turn away from God?

No comments:

Post a Comment