Monday, July 20, 2009

Day 201: Proverbs 28 - 31

He who conceals his sins does not prosper, but whoever confesses and renounces them finds mercy. (Proverbs 28:13)

Over and over the Scriptures make the point that in our efforts to save face, we instead set ourselves up for catastrophe. Damage will be done and people will be hurt when secrets blow up in our faces, but it doesn't have to be that way.

Psalm 32:5 - Then I acknowledged my sin to you and did not cover up my iniquity. I said, "I will confess my transgressions to the Lord" – and you forgave the guilt of my sin.

Then why is it our default setting to cover up our sin and failure? Do we think we can pull a fast one on the Creator of the universe? Do we expect God to turn a deaf ear to our cry? If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness . . . if anybody does sin, we have one who speaks to the Father in our defense – Jesus Christ, the Righteous One. (1 John 1:9; 2:1)

Do you need to defuse the "secret bomb"?

No comments:

Post a Comment